What it Is

I have proven myself a failure at being consistent. Methinks this should be a place for me. Maybe not the collected me that makes sense. More like the me that likes to be. To wonder, to plan, to think, to understand. I want to write everyday. It is my hope that this is the blog that will facilitate that goal.

I dont make any promises. You could still call this my creative blog. But I'd like to think of it more as the debris that is left behind after all the normal thoughts blow through my consciousness.

Don't expect it to always make sense or be worth your time. I think the main goal if for it to be my sanity.

Mottled Light

Mottled Light
the way my mind feels sometimes, waiting for a breakthrough.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Entry Ninety

First: I would love if the two of you who read this blog would read the previous post. Tell me what you think. I like the idea so far, but I'm not sure how it will go.

Second: I found this journal that has a bunch of poetry I wrote in 2005 and 2006. It's all pretty dark. But I have been inspired by my creative sister Elise. I am going to share it. For better or for worse. Because at heart, I am a creative person. And I want to be what I had the potential to be in those years on angst. A good writer.

This one doesn't have a date on it like some of my "poetry" did. Not all of it is even really poetry. Just stuff that I wrote. I'm just going to start from the beginning of the journal and go from there.

First Entry:

I felt a chill which warmed my heart. A swift sharp breeze slipping through each strand of hair and touching my face so coldly. But sun and cloud together work. Strive to provide the simplest beauty which causes my eyes to shimmer with uncontrolled emotion. Chord after chord of springs sweet music. Held by the tangible smells in the air and lifted by the breeze which teases my heart and pulls along with it the promise of rain. A growing tension. An acceptance of change.

I think I wrote this while sitting at a picnic table at Proctor Park. I did this a lot in college because it was an escape from the pressures of classes and from the tragedy that was my unrequited love for a certain person who will remain nameless on this blog. This one isn't so dark. I had a couple rays of brightness, it seems.

Second Entry:

Tale of a Weary Traveler

Your weary shoes trudge ever on
Slowly, lowly creatures call
Though mount and river cross your path
Though crass be long and tree be tall
Continue with a valiant heart
Doubt not the trail ahead
For it may take you to a place
Where you may rest your head
O traveler, brave traveler
Come ease your mind a while
Fill your heart with courage
For the road goes many a mile

I admit that this was inspired by The Lord of the Rings. Heavily. But I still like it. All those traveling poems have a theme. To continue on until you reach your destination. Faltering not. A good theme that meshes well with the principles of the gospel.

Last one for now.

Entry Three:

I close my eyes and...for a moment all that is real is covered in a blanket of darkness, A peace fills my breast. But then truth is revealed. We. We cannot turn a blind eye to reality. We cannot wish away that which we want not to be. I close my eyes and all that brings pain and fear is gone...for a moment. But that is not desirable. For only when we see the truth can we take steps to improve it. My eyes snap open...darkness...

Yeah. This is one of the darker ones. I liked using ellipses then. Even though they didn't really make sense in their placement. My syntax could use a little work as well. But this is raw honest me. Back when I was angst-filled.

I hope you enjoyed. There will be more later.

Thank you, Elise, for the inspiration.

1 comment:

Peeser said...

Thank you for feeling inspired by me. I really like your weary traveler poem- again, very lyrical with a very nice flow and feel.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with angst- the trick is learning how to channel it so the writing doesn't just start sounding melodramatic or cliche. Don't entirely throw out your angst-ridden writing- look for pieces that have potential to have more depth and shape to them and I'd say work on fleshing those out/honing them down a bit...

(So, I take it this journal was primarily a college writing journal? Or does some of it date back to high school? Just curious...)