What it Is

I have proven myself a failure at being consistent. Methinks this should be a place for me. Maybe not the collected me that makes sense. More like the me that likes to be. To wonder, to plan, to think, to understand. I want to write everyday. It is my hope that this is the blog that will facilitate that goal.

I dont make any promises. You could still call this my creative blog. But I'd like to think of it more as the debris that is left behind after all the normal thoughts blow through my consciousness.

Don't expect it to always make sense or be worth your time. I think the main goal if for it to be my sanity.

Mottled Light

Mottled Light
the way my mind feels sometimes, waiting for a breakthrough.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Entry Twenty

I'm engaged. That in itself would have been weird enough.

More than that it is who I am engaged to. Tall, dark hair a mess, glasses, strong jaw. No...not Harry Potter (though he very well could be the adult version). No, his name is D**** K*****. He teaches my Ecosystem Management class and until now he was just another person that rattled around in my brain.

On top of it all I am acutely aware of how little I know this man. I can't even remember when or how he proposed to me. I wish I could say that I am feeling the normal feelings of a soon to be bride. But it's hard to be sure what you feel when it's all happening so fast.

We are in a large theater. Waiting for the presentation to start. I'm not exactly sure what it's going to be over. I just know that I'm here with Dr. K*****...I mean D****. So it must be something over birds in French Polynesia. I spot someone I know. Sarah Pabst.

Now what is she doing here? I walk into the theater with D**** by my side. I go directly to Sarah who is in the nosebleed section. D**** heads closer to the front. Torn, I follow Dylan and stop him.

"I have a friend sitting up there," I whisper. Why am I whispering? "I think she might need me"I add. D**** does not say a word but takes my hand and lets me lead him the the section where Sarah is. She's not surprised that I am engaged. So why should I be?

There's still this feeling that I should know more about D****. I should remember loving him at one point. Why is this all wrong? We take our seats and the lights dim.

And then I awaken. No wonder everything was off. Since when does life in my dreams make sense? I shake my head and wonder at the strangeness of me being engaged to D**** K*****.

How embarrassing would it be if he could read peoples dreams in their eyes and he saw me being engaged to him.

I admit that I find Dr. K***** attractive, amusing, and I like his outlook on conservation. But he is far too absorbed in his work. I would need to marry someone willing to spend more than a few months in the U.S.A.

Dreams are funny windows into our complicated and shuffled minds.

No comments: